In order to get a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), it is federally mandated for applicants to pass a Department of Transportation (DOT) Health Exam. The DOT exam’s goal is to check the commercial drivers’ physical and mental capability.
Gotro Family Chiropractic offers DOT physical exams for $75.
This does not include alcohol testing/breathalyzer.
Preparing for the DOT Exam
The doctor will be testing your:
- Ability to operate a vehicle
- Mental stability
- Ability to sustain cognition
- Ability to stay in control
- Physical Endurance
What should I bring to the DOT Physical?
- A State issued photo ID. Best option is your driver’s license
- Glasses/ contact lenses, if you wear them
- Hearing aid, if you need one
- Bring comprehensive medical records from your primary care doctor if your primary care doctor is not the one performing your exam.
- If you have any health conditions, bring the name and contact information for the doctor who treats you for each condition. Conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, or sleep apnea typically require additional paperwork, such as sleep test results or stress test results.
- Bring a complete medication list. The list should include every medication you take, its strength, its dosage, and the prescribing doctor.
Recommendations to help you pass your physical
- In the week before your physical, eat and drink as healthfully as possible. This means cutting back or cutting out caffeine, salt, sugar, and junk food. This can help your blood pressure.
- Take all medications as scheduled at all times, since taking your medication irregularly may cause inaccurate readings during the physical exam.
- Do not run out of your prescribed medications as you lead up to your physical exam. Suddenly withdrawing from a medication can significantly impact your test.
- If you use contact lenses or glasses to see, make sure your prescription is up to date and bring your corrective lenses with you to the physical.
We look forward to hearing from you.